For UNC students who have children, going abroad often seems impossible. Some programs like Fulbright or Fulbright-Hays will make accommodations for families and medical expenses. You could also consider participating in a short-term, alternative break program or getting involved with opportunities on campus and in our community. Make sure to check with Financial Aid to see if additional aid is available for dependent care.

If you are a single parent traveling abroad with your child, it is important to research and prepare for dangers and stigmas you may face. Consult ILGA’s Minorities Report 2017: attitudes to sexual and gender minorities around the world to get oriented toward cultural attitudes around the globe (p. 65).